Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Excuse me, what kind of instrument is that?

Last night I was playing at the The Biltmore Estate, in the Winter Garden with Jim, my husband. We have been fortunate for many years to be regular holiday season musicians.

By the third set, a pretty good sized crowd had gathered. We had played several pieces and I was in the moment – the beauty of the music, the grandeur of the House, the lights, the floral decorations (gorgeous!), all of it. I was almost a bit teary after finishing the piece, “In the Bleak Midwinter”, when suddenly a woman pipes up and asks a question. She smiles courteously and says, “Excuse me, what is that instrument you are playing?” Other folks turned their head and looked at her. I could see 25 thought balloons suddenly appearing that were saying in unison, ‘Ummm, hello? Are you serious?’ By the innocent expression on her face, I could tell she was.

Now, when I play this instrument, I get asked pretty frequently what it is.

Sometimes people will guess – a clarinet? An oboe? No, it’s an Irish wooden flute. “Oh really! Okay, thank you!” Sometimes I get this, “Oh, really? A flute? Really?” As if I’m messing with them. Yes, it is. It’s what flutes looked like before the silver system flute came along.

But when I get asked what THIS instrument is...

well, let’s just say the importance of music education in our schools cannot be underestimated. So last night, while I did feel a bit shocked (as did the rest of the Biltmore House guests), I was also challenged not to look at Jim for one microsecond as I knew I would lose it. He made some sort of wisecrack meant for only my ears and I was hard pressed not to burst.

Apparently this woman has come this far in life without ever seeing one. Now it was me that wanted to ask, "Really?" But of course I didn't - I just smiled and said, "A flute!" She smiled back and said, "Thank you! Merry Christmas!" And that, was that... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment